Yesterday I got asked a very stupid question. It is so stupid that I actually refused to answer it. A chance meeting with a friend had kinda turned into an interview of sorts. He wanted to offer me a job and next thing I know his colleague started an "unofficial interview". As a management student I am pretty aware of what kinds of questions might get asked and a few years back I might has even answered this dumb question with great sincerity. Yesterday, it was a different story.
After asking me a series of very intelligent questions making me believe that she has pretty good "questioning" skills. This lady went ahead and closed the session with a very dumb question. Do people really ask "Where will you be 5 years from now???” I mean I got asked that a decade back when I went looking for my first job. Is it still relevant today in a time when a second goes past faster than a nano second?
Where will I be 5 years from now...hmmm...let’s roll back 5 years from now and ask this question to me. So this question is being asked of me in 2005 and I am looking at 2010 while answering. OK..Here goes.
- I will most certainly not be working at VA. C'mon who spends 9 yrs with a company??
- I might be on a sabbatical from work as I will be a mother of two (at least)
- Facebook..Twitter, are you joking?! I wouldn't be telling the world what I am doing at any given time. That is invasion of privacy!
- I have no clue how to keep fish...let alone have 2 pond
Blogging? Are you crazy? I have nothing to say and no one has time to read my crap
- Nah! Why bother with driving when you can have a driver
- Not tell the person who is kinda interviewing me that this is such a stupid question that I am not going to answer it!
I can go on and on...but I am sure you get the point. Why on heavens name do people ask such a stupid question??! Well, I know for sure 5 year back I wouldn’t have asked anyone to bugger off when they asked stupid questions like this. But in 2010 I did. I actually told her its so damn irrelevant that I don't think I will answer it. Will I get the job...well let me look into my crystal ball, 5 years from now : )
Why are management graduates still stuck in fuddy duddy questions of the past about the future?
A Seed for Thought for the ones who are supposedly making a difference to our economy with forward thinking.